Due to change of Japanese immigration procedure, you will receive "在留カード (zairyu card ざいりゅうかーど)" at passport control when you enter Japan for the first time. The card can be used for official identification so please take it with you wherever you go during your stay in Japan.

To view immigration procedure for a prospective student:

JSPS "Life in Japan for Foreign Researchers"

Mishima City Office - Directions for Travel and for Registering as a Foreign Resident

Shizuoka Immigration Office - Directions for Travel