The National Institute of Genetics (herein” NIG”) employs young promising researchers as NIG postdoctoral research fellows (herein” NIG postdocs”) and involve them in research activities at the institute for a limited amount of time, aiming at further development of research at NIG and fostering researchers with excellent research ability.
Applicants must meet the following requirements.
(1) Those who have obtained PhD degree (or equivalent) or are expected to obtain it by
the time of employment.
(2) Those who have sufficient research skills to pursue research projects of genetics.
(3) Applications by those who have work experience at NIG at the time of application are not considered.
(1) Period of employment is up to 3 years from the initial date of hire with reappointment on
an annual basis.
(2) Start date (the day start working at NIG) is April 1st, 2018, however, it may be changed to any date between November 1st, 2017 and October 1st, 2018, if particularly requested.
(3) When the fellowship is suspended due to childcare, nursing or sick leave (limited to cases of absence) under the approval of the President of ROIS or the Director-General of NIG, the employment period may be extended corresponding to the duration of the period of absence. If there are special circumstances other than those mentioned above, they will be discussed and determined by the Committee.
Successful candidates will be employed as project researchers (Discretionary working hour system is applicable.) They are eligible to apply for competitive funds called the Grants-in -Aids for Scientific Research (KAKENHI).
Annual salary approx. 4,100,000JPY including tax will be paid. Commuting allowance (conditional), MEXT mutual society of health insurance, compensation insurance and employment insurance will be covered.
(1) NIG postdocs are expected to positively contribute to the development of research in
their laboratory as well as the vitalization of the entire NIG research (for example, to
take an active part in the discussion at NIG colloquium, etc.). For this reason, research
plans requiring long-term stay at an institute/university outside NIG are generally not
(2) NIG postdocs are required to make a presentation of their achievement at the NIG colloquium at the end of the employment period.
(3) Publications must include an acknowledgment of the support from NIG postdoc grant.
About 4 people will be accepted.
Host Researcher (PI)
|Division of Centrosome Biology||KITAGAWA, Daiju|
|Division of Molecular Cell Engineering||KANEMAKI, Masato|
|Division of Microbial Genetics||ARAKI, Hiroyuki(*)|
|Division of Symbiosis and Cell Evolution||MIYAGISHIMA, Shin-ya|
|Division of Neurogenetics||IWASATO, Takuji|
|Division of Molecular and Developmental Biology||KAWAKAMI, Koichi|
|Division of Population Genetics||SAITOU, Naruya|
|Division of Evolutionary Genetics||AKASHI, Hiroshi|
|Division of Ecological Genetics||KITANO, Jun|
|Division of Human Genetics||INOUE, Ituro|
|Division of Agricultural Genetics||KAKUTANI, Tetsuji|
|Division of Brain Function||HIRATA, Tatsumi|
|Cell Dynamics and Organization Laboratory||ODA, Yoshihisa|
|Quantitative Mechanobiology Laboratory||SHIMAMOTO, Yuta|
|Chromosome Biochemistry Laboratory||MURAYAMA, Yasuto(**)|
|Systems Neuroscience Laboratory||KUBO, Fumi (***)|
|Mammalian Development Laboratory||SAGA, Yumiko|
|Mouse Genomics Resource Laboratory||KOIDE, Tsuyoshi|
|Model Fish Genomics Resource Laboratory||SAKAI, Noriyoshi|
|Plant Genetics Laboratory||SATO, Yutaka|
|Microbial Genetics Laboratory||NIKI, Hironori||Invertebrate Genetics Laboratory||SAITO, Kuniaki|
|Biological Macromolecules Laboratory||MAESHIMA, Kazuhiro|
|Cell Architecture Laboratory||KIMURA, Akatsuki|
|Multicellular Organization Laboratory||SAWA, Hitoshi|
|Gene Network Laboratory||SUZUKI, Emiko(*)|
|Laboratory of Biological Networks||ARITA, Masanori|
|Genome Evolution Laboratory||KUROKAWA, Ken|
|Experimental Farm||NONOMURA, Ken-ichi|
(Note 1) The PIs marked with an asterisk (*) will be retired in FY2019. If NIG postdoc is employed in those retiring PI’s lab, their contract expires at the end of March, 2020 (2 years).
(Note 2) The PI marked with two asterisks (**) is scheduled to join NIG on July 1st, 2017. His research subject is “Elucidating Molecular Mechanism of Structural Maintenance of Chromosome (SMC) Complexes”. For further details, please contact him directly at email@example.com.
(Note 3) The PI marked with three asterisks (***) is scheduled to join NIG on December 1st, 2017. NIG postdoctoral fellow can start working in her lab on February 1st, 2018 or later. Her lab will study neural mechanisms underlying visually guided behavior in zebrafish. For further details, please contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PDF files of the following documents should be sent via e-mail after consulting with your prospective PI about your research project.
*Please refer to our website for contact details and research outlines of PIs who are recruiting postdoc. NIG Website:
Submit to: National Institute of Genetics, Research Promotion Team
E-mail Subject: 【Name of Applicant】Applications for NIG Postdoctoral Fellows 2018
Attachment Title: 【Name of Applicant/Referee*】Applications for NIG Postdoctoral Fellows 2018
*Please put the name of referee on the file of reference letter.
* If all the necessary documents, (1) to (3) below, are not submitted by the deadline, your
application will not be accepted under any circumstances.
* Reference number will be issued when submission is successfully received. Application procedure is complete upon receipt of the number.
* Please note that submitted documents will not be returned to applicants. Application documents of unsuccessful candidate will be destroyed responsibly after the notification of screening result.
【Application Documents to be Submitted】
(1) Documents Prepared and Submitted by Applicants
Please prepare the following documents Form 1 to 4 in the specified forms which can be downloaded from the link below, and sumbit after merging them into a sigle PDF file. The following points should be kept in mind when you prepare the documents
– Applications must be filled out in Japanese or English.
– Do not change the layout, size (A4) and number of pages.
– Figures can be inserted and color can be used in Format 2 and 4.
Application Format Word Excel
– Form 1: Curriculum Vitae, Name of Prospective Laboratory, Desired Starting Date
– Form 2: Summary of Past Research (1 page)
– Form 3: List of Publications, Presentations and Achievements
– Form 4: Research Plan at NIG (5 pages in total)
4-1: Purpose including its background：1 page
4-2: Research Outline：2 pages
4-3: Features and Creative Ideas：1 page
4-4: Annual Plan for 3 years：1 page
(2) Reference from Supervisor *Forms not specified
【Reference letter should be submitted directly to NIG by the supervisor】
Applicants should ask someone (immediate supervisor, for example) who knows their research and personality well to write a letter of reference. He/she may be contacted and asked for further comments when necessary.
(3) Reference from Host PI *Forms not specified
【Reference letter should be submitted directly to NIG by the host PI】
Applicants are requested to consult with their prospective PI about their research project in advance and to ask him/her to prepare a reference letter written about the compatibility between your research plan and research at his/her laboratory.
(1) Preliminary Screening (Document Review)
Applicants will be shortlisted based on their submitted documents.
The selection result will be e-mailed directly to applicants by the end of July.
(Please contact Research Promotion Team (Refer to 10. Submission & Contact) if you do not receive e-mail by that time.)
(2) Secondary Screening (Interview)
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview as scheduled below. They are required to give a short (12 min.) presentation about their past research and future plan at our institute. Subsequently, question and answer session (18 min.) will be carried out.
Details about schedule and documents required for the interview will be notified to the shortlisted candidates of the preliminary screening. Travel expense to and from NIG must be borne by the candidate.
Interview: Wednesday, September 6th, 2017
Venue: National Institute of Genetics (Mishima city, Shizuoka)
Final selection results will be e-mailed to candidates by the end of September. Candidates on the waiting list will be announced at the same time.
National Institute of Genetics
Research Promotion Team
1111 Yata, Mishima-city, Shizuoka, 411-8540 Japan